Intersection of Raritan Avenue and North Fourth Avenue is an “Intersection of Concern” After Two Accidents – Car and Cyclist, Car and Pedestrian – Occurred Within Two Days of One Another in October

The intersection of Raritan Avenue and North Fourth Avenue is being investigated by Highland Park Place as an intersection of concern, after two people in two different incidents were hit by cars at this  during the month of October. In  the first incident, the man succumbed to his fatal injuries.

A man in his 70s riding a bike was hit by a car there on the morning of Oct. 17.  Then on the morning of  Oct. 19, a woman was hit trying to walk across the same intersection. Highland Park Police now say they are monitoring that problematic intersection, calling it “concerning.”

“The occurrence of two pedestrian/bicyclist crashes at the same location and nearly the same time of day occurring only two days apart is rare and concerning,” said Highland Park Police Capt. Jose Curbelo. “We are continuing our investigation as to whether there is an environmental or traffic-related issue at this intersection that needs to be addressed.”

In the first incident, a 75-year-old man riding his bike was struck by a car on Sunday morning, Oct. 17. The man, a Highland Park resident, was found to have multiple abrasions and a complaint of leg pain, said police. However, he remained alert and conscious throughout the incident.

The man even rode his bike home before an ambulance took him to Robert Wood Johnson Hospital in New Brunswick, said police. He was discharged from the hospital that same day but returned on Oct. 22.

“The Medical Examiner’s office advised the Highland Park Police Department on Oct. 23 that the bicyclist passed away due to injuries sustained during the crash,” said police.

The driver who hit him, a 36-year-old East Brunswick woman, was issued summonses for careless driving and failing to yield to a pedestrian.

Then, just two days after the man was hit, at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 19 an adult woman was hit by a car crossing the same intersection.

She did not appear to be critically injured but was transported to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital for treatment. The driver in that incident also stayed at the scene and it is unknown if they were charged.

Comments are closed.