It’s Snow Time….

–The Highland Park Zoning Board of Adjustment reorganization and regular meeting for January 26. 2015 at 7:30 pm in the council chambers of borough hall 221 South Fifth cancelled. The next scheduled meeting will be February 23, 2015 in the council chambers of borough hall 221 South Fifth Ave.

–All district schools are closed on Tuesday, January 27, 2015.Updates about Wednesday will be provided as soon as a decision is made.

–Advice from PSE&G is as follows:

  • Report problems

It is important to always report outages to PSE&G. Don’t assume someone else has reported it, even if it’s your next door neighbor. It is easy to report your outage via our Customer Service line at 1-800-436-7734

 All downed power lines, even if not moving or sparking, should be considered dangerous. Stay at least 300 feet away from all downed wires – and keep others from going near them as well. Call PSE&G at 1-800-436-7734 or the police or fire department immediately to report a downed wire.

  • In the event that an electric line or wire comes down on a vehicle with passengers, stay in the vehicle until professionals arrive to help.
  • Watch where you step.  Flood water may carry debris that includes broken bottles and nails.
  • Drive with caution if traffic lights and railroad crossing signals are not operating.
  • Do not attempt to cut or remove a tree that is, or could become, entangled with power lines. Contact PSE&G for assistance and wait for a professional tree removal crew to do the job.
  • Turn off air conditioners, refrigerators, freezers and sensitive electronic equipment (like TVs, microwaves and computers) that were running when the outage occurred to help avoid a sudden surge of power when electric service is restored.
  • Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed. An unopened refrigerator will keep foods cold enough for a few hours. A freezer that is half full will hold food safely for up to 24 hours and a full freezer, between 36 and 48 hours.
  • Leave one light switch on to indicate when power is restored.
  • Only use generators or other fuel-powered machines outside the home. Carbon monoxide (CO) fumes are odorless and can quickly overwhelm you if a generator is used indoors.
  • Avoid using a stove to heat a home. Doing so creates a fire hazard and life -threatening levels of carbon monoxide.
  • Never connect generators to another power source such as power lines. The reverse flow of electricity or backfeed can pose an electrocution threat to an unsuspecting utility worker.






Comments are closed.